Kale is one of my favorite foods and has many health promoting properties. It is an excellent source of vitamins A, C, K, and Omega-3 fatty acids. What you may not know is that kale is also an excellent source of calcium. Adding to that, the calcium in kale is better absorbed than the calcium in dairy products. Here’s why: protein from dairy and other animal foods create an acidic environment in the body causing calcium to be drawn from the bones in order to neutralize the high level of amino acids from animal based protein. Kales, vegetables and, fruits have an alkalizing effect on the body, so the calcium is absorbed as opposed to being drawn from the bones and excreted in urine.
Try this delicious Raw Kale salad and fat free dressing. Enjoy!
1. Take 2 bunches of kale and soak them in clean water, removing the center stem from the leaves.
2. Discard the stems and chop up the kale leaves, dry in a lettuce spinner.
3. Combine half an avocado and one half of a lemon and actively rub and combine into the chopped kale in a large bowl.
4. Add additional vegetables such as chopped tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers – as desired
5. To create a full meal you can add or combine any of the following healthy starches:
Smashed chickpeas with some paprika, salt, and dill
Brown rice, chopped oven baked potatoes, or toasted whole grain bread chunks
Fat Free dressing:
Blend white miso paste, apple cider vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper.
Add the dressing to the salad or serve on the side.