We have all heard the expression “you are what you eat” and according to recent research plant based foods provide high antioxidants, reduce inflammation, and create a powerful beauty elixir. Basically, plant based foods provide vitamins and antioxidants that help neutralize the free radicals that cause cells to age. Adding to that, the fiber in plant foods helps to eliminate toxins from building up in the body. These qualities translate into gorgeous, glowing skin and a slim, healthy body. Try these vitamin and antioxidant rich foods for a healthy glow. To find out more on the value of antioxidants in food go to the Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity website: http://www.oracvalues.com.
- VITAMIN E rich foods: nuts, seeds, almonds, flaxseed, walnuts, broccoli, spinach, sweet potatoes, mangoes and avocadoes
- VITAMINS B rich foods: green leafy vegetables, whole grains, beans, bananas, and nuts. B vitamins also protect the body from too much homocysteine (a molecule that is linked to heart attacks). See study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17240287
- VITAMIN C rich foods: camu berries, kale and green leafy vegetables, peppers, broccoli, guava, tomatoes, and peas
- BETA-CAROTENE rich foods- carrots, apples, pears, butternut squash, and cantaloupe
- BERRIES and GRAPES: strawberries, goji berries, acai berries, and blue berries. Berries and grapes have compounds that counter inflammation and improve brain health. See study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20028599